Accident Medical Group

Accident Medical Group | What Happens If I Was Hit by an Unlicensed Driver?


What Happens If I Was Hit by an Unlicensed Driver?


Despite it being illegal and the severe penalties that come with it, people still drive without a license. In many cases, these drivers have a license, but it was suspended, or they did not renew it.

If you or a loved one was struck by an unlicensed driver, it is important to note the other driver may not have insurance. Even if he or she has been paying the premiums, some policies say coverage stops if the policyholder has no license or the license was suspended.  

This is one of the reasons why having a qualified attorney on your side can be very important as you look to obtain compensation for medical costs, vehicle damage, lost wages and other damages you suffered. These situations can be very confusing, and those who hire attorneys often recover more compensation than those who do not.

There are a variety of scenarios involving accidents with unlicensed drivers. The most obvious is an accident with a someone who was driving his or her own car without a license. In this scenario, there are a few variables to consider:

  • Does the driver have insurance?
  • Does insurance coverage still apply if the driver did not have a license or his or her license was suspended?
  • Was the unlicensed driver at fault for the crash? (Driving without a license does not automatically make someone liable for a car crash.)

Another potential scenario is if the unlicensed driver was driving someone else’s car with permission from that person. Typically, insurance follows the car, not the driver. Even if the driver lacks insurance, you may be able to file a claim against the policy held by the owner of the car. However, does the fact the driver had no license invalidate the insurance coverage? That is a question to discuss with a licensed attorney.

If the unlicensed driver did not have permission, such as if he or she stole the car, the insurance coverage may be invalidated.

After an auto accident with an unlicensed driver, we recommend seeking immediate legal assistance from a qualified professional.

CALL 305-AMG-HELP to be instantly connected to an attorney specialized in your case.